I’m coming to you live from my patio, Bon Iver pumping through our outdoor speakers, & a green drink in my hand.
I’m made it a goal to write, and haven’t seen it through very well. [Turn off the Gossip Girl repeats, Kaylee, and step away from Netflix]. I would make another promise that you’ll see more of me, but I can’t promise what my future holds, [I actually know they’ll include a lot of snuggles with Ace, watching Netflix], but I’ll try my hardest to make it more of a priority to get to the keyboard.
I am happy when I write. My mind is calm & some of my anxiousness disappears. I need to make it more of a point for my mental state.
Anywho… here I sit, with a week and a couple weekends left of my summer break. I’m usually ready when this time rolls around. I’m ready to get back into a different routine. I’m ready to challenge my students. I’m ready to grow as a professional. However, this summer is holding on tight, and it’s been hard to wrap my head around the change of pace that is soon to come.
Despite some changes for Tony & I, this summer has been really good to us. This post may be a week too soon, [Tony & I have some really fun events planned for my last week of summer next week], but there are definitely some memories from this summer that are going to be forever my favorites….
2017 summer favorites:
- fresh flowers – whether they’re my peonies growing around my patio, ranunculus from Lunds, or wild flowers I plucked from the woods, fresh flowers forever warm my soul. I need to remember to grab a handful in the depths of winter to add some sunlight around this place.
2. live music – over the past 4.5 years, I’ve learned music is my religion. I could been having a dark day, feeling pity for whatever situation I’ve been placed in, and turning on the right track can erase all my negativity. It’s definitely a soothing technique, & I’m lucky I was able to see so many amazing musicians live this summer, [Francis & the Lights, Sylvan Esso, Chance the Rapper, The Revolution, Dead Man Winter, Bon Iver, & Coldplay to name a few 🙂 ].
3. time with my family – we spent time brunchin’, sunbathin’, and lakin’. Growing up, every summer we spent a week on Gull Lake, boating on the channels, ripping pull tabs, and making memories; this year Tony and I were able to join in, after a long hiatus. It had been ten years since I had been on Gull Lake, & it was just as amazing as I remember. We had a blast with my family, aunts and uncles, and cousins, & I’m already looking forward to next year 🙂
4. house projects – although I wasn’t able to get many projects done this summer, there are a couple, [with the help of both my mother and tony’s father], I am very proud of completing. We put some finishing touches on our lower bathroom & laundry room – please look at the entire process here, there was a lot of work put into this! – & hung cafe lights around our patio. We’ve enjoyed every second of the whimsical ambiance in our backyard during evenings.
5. time with my boys – as all of you know, I’m a sucker for time with Ace and Tony, and this summer was no exception. Tony and I were lucky to spend a lot of time together this summer & obviously, Ace was right there with us. I don’t ever take this time for granted, in fact, I always crave more.
So, as my summer is coming to an end, I have to say, I’m pretty satisfied with how I spent my time. I’m sure once I get in my classroom and start planning [with 8th graders this year!], I’ll feel right at home & settle in for another great school year.
Off to cut up some cucs, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and mozzarella for a tasty, refreshing, little lunch.
Stay cool my muffins, xo